This is a Murray cruiser frame that I’ve chopped a little.
I cut out the top tube and seat tube. I then used the top tube as the seat tube and positioned it farther back than the original. I replaced the top tube with Conduit I bent with a higher arc. I originally built this bike in 2006. I decided to give it a make-over and to try a faux patina finish on it using what paints I had on hand. Also changed out the bars, seat, sprocket and pedals, fenders. It’s been through several re-incarnations.
Middleweight Western Flyer for one of my Grand-Sons. Removed fenders, new wheel set, balloon tires and a few kustom touches.
Schwinn Rat Rod I threw together.
Itching for something different to ride I decided to throw something together. Drug this Schwinn down from the attic. I’d been trying for quite some time to get the stuck goose neck out and finally gave up and cut it off. I was going to just cut the old steer tube off the original fork and weld a new one on but that didn’t work out.
I went digging for a fork and all I could come up with was a fork off a Schwinn road bike. The steer tube was too short on it so I extended it. Put on some orange wheels I’d painted and laced a few years ago, an Electra Concho seat, apes an old 2.125 Western Flyer tire in the rear, a real skinny tread-less tire up front and bear trap pedals.
I reworked a tank from this 20″ Firestone convertible to make it fit. Painted the apes black and tried to paint the fork to match the patina of the tank. Leopard print grips, a license plate and a Ratrod Bikes decal. Fork struts are off an old girls Schwinn.
There’s just something fun about riding a bike with ape hangers.
This was a Murray frame I chopped and reconfigured.
Today I decided I wanted something different from last year to ride on the Patriotic Pub Pedal tomorrow. I got home tonight at 5:30 and started with this Schwinn American frame I had stashed in the attic…
I wiped the frame down, sanded off stickers, primered it, painted it and put on the wheels off my black rat rod along with some other parts I had, took a 20 minute break for supper and at 8:30 I ended up with this…
I’d like to have done more but ran out of time. Maybe next year.
Built mostly from parts I already had that I knew I wouldn’t use. The frame came from this bike. I painted over the satin black powder coat with flat black.