Rode into the big city to shop the thrift stores for some different pajamas for this Thursday’s Pajama Party at the Pub Pedal. I also stopped at the grocery store which contains a Starbucks for coffee. At the thrift stores I purchased pajama pants and a robe. I also bought a “portable lighting studio” (pictured strapped to the rear rack). A quick look and it appears to unfold into a box of diffusers and a background. Maybe I can use it to take food photos over the winter for my food account on Instagram.
1. Where: Starbucks at the grocery store.
2. Date: 10-17-2017
3. Drank: Decaf with soy milk.
4. Details: They didn’t have any decaf made so they just did a pour over for my one cup. Was good. Also shopped a couple of thrift stores on the way.
5. Distance: 11 miles.
6. Bike: Dumpster bike.
I decided to participate for the first time in the Coffeeneuring Challenge. It’s similar to the Errandonnee which I’ve done multiple times in the past, but you are riding for coffee instead of errands.
Any coffee shops I’m aware of are in the big city some distance away and not easily accessible by bike. I predict most of my coffees will be outside or at convenience stores.
As I’ve done with the Errandonnee, I plan to ride a different bike for each coffee.
Coffee 1 was “coffee without walls”.
1. Where: Rural area outside of town.
2. Date: 10-13-2017
3. Drank: Kroger decaf brewed at home.
4. Details: Usually my first 2 cups of coffee are caffeinated and if I have more than 2 I make decaf. I drink coffee made at home with just a splash of rice milk. It was hotter than I anticipated this morning. 15+ mph wind was no fun. Corn is still being harvested. I have a hard time sitting still and I generally end up riding around the gravel roads as I sip my coffee.
5. Distance: 11 miles.
6. Bike: John Deere Schwinn.
My old Specialized Crossroads hybrid, which was a dumpster find by Nova and gift to me for my birthday years ago, was in need of some improvements. The antiquated Suntour index shifting didn’t work very well and spokes were breaking on the rear wheel. I’ve been talking about getting a new bike to replace it for some time. Just can’t bring myself to do it yet. Decided to just do some upgrades to the Specialized. I had a bike shop replace the spokes in the rear wheel and put on a freewheel that was compatible with the derailleur I bought from them which was a Sram 8 speed. I’d been wanting a wider tire so I bought a pair from them but ended up putting them on one of Nova’s bikes. I ordered myself another, different pair online.
Sram derailleur and shifters. I need to shorten that housing and cable.
Continental Ride Tour tires.
Took it for a shakedown ride to test the shifting. Got home and realized I never changed gears lol.